Biography of Rishabh Pant
Rishabh Pant is an Indian cricketer born on 4 October 1997 in Roorkee, Uttarakhand. He plays for India National Cricket Team and Delhi. Rishabh Pant has come into focus after being selected in Team India’s Under-19 squad.
In the same year 2016 he played for Delhi Daredevils in IPL. He made his Twenty20 International (T20I) debut for India in January 2017 and his Test debut in August 2018.
Rishabh Pant’s cricketing journey
Pant initially represented Rajasthan at the Under-14 and Under-16 levels. However, in Rajasthan, Pant faced discrimination for being an outsider and was thrown out of the academy. Pant decided to move from Rajasthan to Delhi to save his career.
Pant made his first-class cricket debut in 2015 at the age of 18 in the Ranji Trophy. Pant broke many records by scoring a triple century against Maharashtra. In the 2016-17 season, Pant scored a 48-ball century against Jharkhand. His exploits and success in the Ranji Trophy earned him a place in India’s T20 squad for England’s tour of India in 2017.
In February 2018, he was named in India’s T20I squad for the 2018 Nidahas Trophy.
Indian Premier League – IPL
Rishabh was bought by Delhi Daredevils for Rs 50 crores. 1.9 crore in 2016. He proved to be totally worth the money by scoring 198 runs in 10 matches and won the man of the match award.
Although his inaugural season was not as fruitful as Pant had hoped, his second season, the 2017 IPL, proved to be a miracle for the Delhi lad. In the 2017 edition of the league, Rishabh scored 97 runs off just 43 balls to lead Delhi Daredevils to victory against Gujarat Lions.
Rishabh continued his brilliant run in the 2018 edition of the league with an unbeaten 128 off 63 balls. He had the distinction of achieving the highest individual score by an Indian cricketer in a Twenty20 match.
No wonder he was awarded the ‘Emerging Player of the Season’ in 2018. He was the second highest run-scorer in the league edition.
Rishabh Pant has been appointed as the captain of Delhi Capitals for the IPL 2021 season after regular captain Shreyas Iyer was ruled out of the game due to a shoulder injury.
Rishabh Pant International Career
|test||v England at Nottingham (18 August 2018)|
|T20||Vs England at Bengaluru (1 February 2017)|
|ODI||On 21 October 2018 West Indies Vs.|
- In August 2018, Pant was selected in India’s Test squad for the series against England.
- He made his Test debut on 18 August 2018 against the England cricket team. Pant became the first Indian batsman to start his career with a six in Test cricket.
- On 11 September 2018, Pant scored his maiden Test century against England. He became the second youngest wicketkeeper and the first Indian wicketkeeper to score a Test century in England.
- In December 2018, during the first Test against Australia, Pant took eleven catches, the most by a wicketkeeper for India in a Test match.
- In January 2019, during the fourth Test against Australia, Pant became the first Indian wicketkeeper to score a century in a Test match in Australia.
- In September 2019, during the second Test against the West Indies, Pant became the fastest wicket-keeper for India to reach a fifty in Test cricket.
- Pant scored his maiden Test century in the same tournament. Pant thus became the second youngest wicketkeeper and the first Indian wicketkeeper to score a Test century in England.
- Rishabh Pant scored India’s first, third Test century on the second day of the 4th Test against England at Ahmedabad (2021).
- In January 2017, Pant was named in India’s Twenty20 International (T20I) squad for the series against England.
- Pant played for India on 1 February 2017. Made his Twenty20 International debut in 2017 against England at the Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bangalore.
- Pant became the youngest player to make his T20I debut for India at the age of 19, 120 days before Washington Sundar made his debut in 2017 at 18 years and 80 days.
- After his Test debut against England, Pant was selected in India’s ODI squad for the series against the West Indies.
- He made his ODI debut for India on 21 October 2018 against West Indies.
- On 9 February 2022, in the second ODI against the West Indies at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad, Pant opened the innings alongside Rohit Sharma in Dhawan’s absence. Later in the post-match presentation, Rohit Sharma explained why Pant opened the innings.
- Pant is still waiting for his maiden ODI century.
Did Rishabh Pant play the World Cup?
In June 2019, Pant was called up to India’s 2019 Cricket World Cup squad as cover for Shikhar Dhawan, who suffered a hairline fracture of his left thumb during India’s match against Australia.
On 19 June 2019, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) confirmed that Dhawan had been ruled out for the rest of the tournament, with Pant appointed as his replacement. After the World Cup, the International Cricket Council (ICC) selected Pant as the rising star of the team.
Rishabh Pant Family
Rishabh Pant was born on 4 October 1997 in Haridwar, Uttarakhand to Rajendra Pant and Saroj Pant. He has a sister named Sakshi Pant. In 2017, Pant’s father died of a heart attack.
Pant showed immense dedication and determination and just two days after his father’s funeral, Pant scored 57 runs for Delhi Daredevils in an IPL match and dedicated it as a tribute to his late father.
Interesting facts about Rishabh Pant
- Rishabh Pant is a big fan of Adam Gilchrist. In fact, it was because of him that he decided to become a wicketkeeper-batsman.
- He is the third-youngest Indian to score a triple century in first-class cricket, scoring 308 off 326 balls against Maharashtra in the 2016 Ranji Trophy.
- He has the distinction of becoming the second wicketkeeper to score a triple century in the Ranji Trophy.
- He holds another record for fastest century in Ranji Trophy 2016-17. It took just 48 balls!
- He is the first Indian cricketer to hit a six on the very first ball of his debut in Test cricket.
- Rahul Dravid played a major role in shaping Rishabh’s career when he was in the India A team.
- Rishabh prefers to relax by listening to music, going for a trek or swimming.
- His favorite actress is Shraddha Kapoor and actors are Amitabh Bachchan and Shah Rukh Khan.
- Rishabh is a big football fan and supports Manchester United FC.
- Rishabh Pant owns a Mercedes-Benz GLC.
- He is known as a mischievous one in the team.
- He gets bored with his look easily and loves experimenting with hair colors or finding good wardrobe choices.
- In January 2021, during the fourth Test against Australia, Pant became the fastest wicket-keeper to score 1,000 runs for India in Test cricket.
- India’s second youngest player to debut in a T20I match.
- First Indian batsman to start his career with a six in Test cricket.
- Pant won the inaugural ICC Player of the Month award.
Awards and honors
- ICC Emerging Cricketer of the Year Award – 2018.
- Rising Star of ICC Team – ICC World Cup 2019.
- Rishabh Pant won the Best Batsman Award 2021 from Espn Cricinfo for his 89* against Australia at the Gabba .